Tuesday, September 22, 2015

DIY Facial Mask: Bentonite Clay + Apple Cider Vinegar

I love making my own beauty products. The most important reason is because the ingredients are all natural, and they're also usually cheaper than buying a mask at the store. This mask that i'll show you how to make only uses two ingredients. Super simple to make yourself a fresh mask that works better than one you would get at a spa or from a jar.

What is it?
This mask is a seriously deep cleansing mask that wipes out dirt and oil from our pores using Calcium Bentonite Clay. Clay acts like a magnet to draw out all the junk and leave your skin fresh and clean. 

What's inside?
Like I mentioned this mask includes only two ingredients:


Aztec Secret: Indian Healing Clay
100% Natural Calcium Bentonite Clay



Dry powder inside the tub, mostly odorless. I find mine on Amazon for about 8.00 for a whole pound, which will last me a long time.



Apple Cider Vinegar. I used this kind from walmart, which I found in my pantry. It is definitely better to use organic because it is unpasteurized and still has all of the beneficial vitamins and minerals from organic vinegar. A lot of people wouldn't expect that apple cider vinegar is good for the skin, but it has great anti-bacterial properties which help with acne. It also has malic and lactic acid which help to exfoliate and soften the skin.
You can find apple cider vinegar in any grocery store or if you're buying on amazon, you can order it there too for about 4 dollars


How do I make it?

You'll want to add equal parts of dry and wet. I started with dry and slowly added in the apple cider vinegar to make a paste that wasn't too thick.


You'll immediately see a reaction between the two ingredients, causing a ton of bubbles.



This is about how thick my paste was. It will keep bubbling, even as you apply it.



The mask goes on a bright green color, and takes about 4-5 minutes until it becomes really hard. I would suggest leaving it on atleast 10 minutes. Like a lot of clay masks, this one is a little difficult to remove. Take a hot washcloth and lay it over your face to warm it back up, that will help remove it without hurting your skin.

I have pretty sensitive skin so I worry using clay masks, but this one surprisingly didn't leave me feeling red or itchy or tight. My skin felt a lot softer and looked cleaner. I recommend applying a moisturizer after you use it, since the clay can be a little bit drying.

If you DIY a pore cleansing mask it will only run you about 12.00 to start and last you between 6-8 months atleast. Much cheaper than a store-bought mask!


No comments:

Post a Comment