Monday, April 20, 2015

Glossier Review


After months of reading reviews on the new Glossier skincare I decided to cave. This brand has been getting a lot of attention on social media and it kept popping up all over my instagram feed. At first I saw the price and was turned off, like 80 bucks for 4 items? I didn't know enough about the brand to take the dive. With that said I started reading Into The Gloss which is a blog that Glossier was created from. I am a total skincare junkie so it was right up my alley. I found a ton of great beauty tips and was obsessed when they interviewed my girl Kim Kardashian. 
Personally my skin had taken a huge beating this winter and went through spells of being dry to greasy to sensitive. I have battled combo, sensitive skin that has been breaking out on me to top it all off. Never have I had problems like this, so I knew I needed something natural that would do the job. I went and bought Glossier's Phase One set in "light".




Soothing Face Mist:



 This is my favorite piece of the set. I use this spray constantly: After I cleanse, when my skin is feeling tight, if I'm overheated, and basically every time I walk by my vanity. Rose water is so good for your skin, and yes I mean YOU, everyone. The rose water and aloe work to hydrate and radiate dull dry skin. Combined with citric acid it works to calm and pH balance for oily/acne prone skin, and if you have "normal" type skin (is that even real?) you will just beam. I have used another rose water spray in the past and I have to say this really keeps me feeling fresh and that perfect "just enough" hydrated. On its own the soothing face mist is $18 for 4fl oz and that is a steal. You need this in your life.

Priming Moisturizer: 


I apply this moisturizer after the rose water spray has evaporated into my skin. A little amount of this goes a long way, and it comes out super easy from the tube so be careful when you're squeezing. (when I squeeze too much I just lather my neck in it) As a moisturizer it feels great on my skin, absorbs relatively quickly and doesn't leave me all that greasy. If you were going for a matte look I would use a matte primer over this because it leaves me quite dewy when I use it as a stand-alone primer. The ingredients include great emollients but also include beeswax and Trisodium Ethylenediamene Disuccinate which to a small percentage can aggravate sensitive skin/allergies. On it's own the priming moisturizer is $25 for 1.7fl oz.
Balm Dotcom:

 This product is claimed to be a "universal skin salve" because you can basically use it wherever on your body you need some extra moisture. I wouldn't recommend using it on your face during the day because it is greasy, think Vaseline-type of hydration. I use it on my lips during the day and the skin near my thumbs that gets dry patches constantly. At night I use it on my face under my eyes to hydrate. I have "chicken skin" in my under eye area that I noticed more this winter due to dryness and when I apply Balm Dotcom overnight they are faded almost 100%. Nothing, and I mean not even coconut oil was helping to diminish them. On it's own the balm dotcom is $12 for .5oz which seems like an ouch, but is very worth it.




Perfecting Skin Tint: 

 This product claims to fall between bare skin and makeup, essentially a pigment with some shimmer called "diamond powder". I absolutely love the concept of this being that I take pride in letting my skin breathe and try to stay away from heavy foundations. I love a light feeling fresh looking face but I just WISH SO BADLY that there was some SPF in here. I haven't tried using this over a facial sunscreen so maybe I am just being dramatic but this would be perfect if it were 2 in 1. Beyond that hurdle I absolutely love the glow you get from this. When used in conjunction with the other items in the phase 1 set your skin feels and looks supple and gorgeous. It definitely doesn't cover any imperfections, maybe diminishes pores a little, so if you have redness or acne you might want to blend out some concealer, cc cream, or whatever you use to keep red tones down. I usually apply this by dropping out 8-10 drops and sweeping them up with my damp beauty blender and it will cover the majority of my face. I go over any target areas and build a little, it wont build a lot but it works for me. 
My favorite way to wear this is after I apply my priming moisturizer I apply Loreal Magic Lumi primer with my damp beauty blender, then I blend out the skin tint and wow I am GLOWING. I mean like beaming radiant glow, it's so gorgeous. 
I have tried to layer it over my Yes to Grapefruit CC cream (still using a damp beauty blender) and I saw that it kind of sunk into some fine lines. I am still working at it to see if its the CC cream or the skin tint though. 

On it's own the skin tint sells for $26 for 1fl oz making it the most expensive of the set. I don't know if I would buy this on it's own just yet.


Below you can see how the skin tint blends out using my fingers on the back of my hand. I love the look of the finish, the diamond powder gives it a nice glow. 
 



Now for something that is NOT apart of the Phase 1 set..

Mega Greens Galaxy Pack:



Glossier had me at "a juice cleanse for your face" and I thought "oh perfect I know juice cleanses are great and I never try them because I'm lazy and now here this might make me feel better". It totally did, and the press for their skin masks on their instagram was super attractive. When I decided to take the plunge and get the Phase 1 set I had to tack on atleast one mask. I chose this one because the hydrating one seemed like overkill and I already had a mess of a million hydrating serums/moisturizers/night creams at home. The mask is full of really great ingredients; antioxidants, green veggie extracts and phytonutrients that attribute to the juice cleanse claim, and biter orange peel that is in the mask to exfoliate gently. I love this mask because it just makes me feel fresh and thoroughly clean. My skin feels happy and rejuvinated and like I really detoxed...maybe all of that is just in my head. It stings a little when I apply the mask to my face but that fades almost immediately as the soft kaolin clay begins to sink into my pores and dry. I noticed in areas where there looks to be a breakout moving in fast, it is calmed after using the mask, and for a couple occasions stops the breakout in its tracks. The mega greens mask is sold for $22 for 3fl oz and is worth every penny.





No comments:

Post a Comment